[FWDLK] 58 Fury on e-bay

The rust on the dash and the mildew in the steering wheel and the pieces of headliner falling down make me think that the bottom of the car don't look so good. I still think that it sits too low in the rear even with 2 flat tires. I don't mean to make anybody mad, but I still think this is $2000 car. Very restorable ,but at tremendous expense. I think you could start out with a good solid southern body an come out ahead. Is that the right thing to do or is it the same thing as making a convertible from a hardtop. I don't know. It will be a good thing to have another Fury out there saved. There maybe a lot of good Fury only pieces on this car, but they are coming at a very high price.
 I hope no one was offended by these comments
David Wallace
58 Fury
40 year owner, this is my third Fury and I have owned 58's continually since 1963

    Just in case I was the person thought to be offended, such was not the case.  Nothing personal and I hope no one else gets so personally invested to take offense at any of this discussion.

   For me, it is more of a "Hold on a minute, .... that don't seem entirely right" kind of thing.  And that was aimed far more at someone calling this car "junk" than anything.  You know, I honestly have not even seen the eBay listing !  I am only going off the commentary off the list and my own position that people are free to do with their cars and money as they please - a direct reaction to the glib, pompous buttheads in the 300 Club who treat anyone with a "lesser" model as a fool restoring a "parts car".

   You may very well be right that this car is rougher than it appears.  It may also be a high price to pay for some strategic parts.  The latter is relative to the desires and willingness of the buyer to spend whatever time it might take to hunt down those parts otherwise, or find a good donor body.  Some of us can make money with a lot less headache than it takes to produce impossible parts, and thereby it becomes a viable economic choice to pay large and just get the $#@! car so you can start working on something !  As an example, I spent 14 years building my 58 Adventurer convertible from a pile of rust.  I probably spent 10x what a nice one might have cost if one could have been found for sale, but for all of those 14 years I kept looking and one never came up for sale.  I bought my Fireflite for 10 large when everyone told me it was too much to pay.  It wa! s a rus ty NY car with a pretty paint job and it ran and went down the road with no missing parts.  Did I pay too much for that pile of parts ?  My friends thought so.  Those same friends are the ones that call me and say "Did you see how much that $#@! FireSWEEP went for at Barrett-Jackson?!!!"  It is all relative.  Maybe I paid too much for my car (?).  I DO know this, ....  I was thrilled to own it from the moment it arrived, ....  I never missed that money, .... I have enjoyed every single moment I have spent with the car for the past 13 years, and most importantly, .....  it is MINE !!!  No endless hunt through advertising, no more big long distance phone bills as I try to scare something out of the woodwork that just does not exist, and no more edgy, frustrated, always dissatisfied state of mind that came from not being able to find what I wanted.  That peace of mind was wo! rth dou ble what I paid for the car.  I sold the cars I didn't really want and easily recouped my money.

   What does this buyer want this Fury for ?  I see them as a limited options car in a less-than-exciting paint and interior scheme.  I want pastels and wilder fabrics.  But that is just me.  Furys were conservative by design, and that is what most guys like about them.  Kind of that "speak softly and carry a big stick" approach.  Methinks this buyer has an ample cash flow and is tired of looking at cars that fall short of his / her desired car.  Is it too much to pay ?  I remember when Furys like this could be had for $500 and you had your choice of several at any given time.  But that isn't the real world anymore.  I wish it was !

   In the end, ALL Forward Look cars proved to be pretty neat in their own ways.  I never thought I'd ooh and aah over a lowly Plaza sedan, but anymore, ..... just seeing one gets me all hopped up !  They are all great cars.  From New Yorkers to Plazas, I admire anyone who restores one of these cars.  I even like 300's .....  I am just leery, ....  waiting for the owners to tell me how my car would make a good parts car.  ;-D

   You know something I would like to see, is a photo album of everyone and their cars.  Put a personal touch to the people and cars we all enjoy.

    B.