Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 6 Jan 2008 to 7 Jan 2008 (#2008-8)

Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 6 Jan 2008 to 7 Jan 2008 (#2008-8)

276 REAR END RATIO

With a 276 rear end ratio you should be able to wind 1st gear to 55 to 60 MPH. At that speed the shift into second  gear will snap your head a little. Second gear should be able to wind to 85 to 90 and it will shift into high gear even if you still have the second gear button pushed in. Then as you slow down it will downshift into Second gear. Safety feather built in by Chrysler Corp. that most guys don't even know about. When we drag raced we would special order from Chrysler Corp. a special high speed police pursuit governor weight that would hold the transmission in second a little longer for better performance. Then it would still shift in to high gear no matter what button was pushed in. Also-----you can hit the reverse button at any speed above  approximately 20 mph and it will just pop back out and nothing will happen. Don't try this now that the cars are 50 years old but it worked perfectly back when they were new.
Also, if you go  taller from 8.00 x 14 inch tires to 9.50 x 14 or even 15 inch then your older Mopar will sit higher in the back which will accent the look of the fins and make the car look fresher. ( like new springs) The 2.76 rear ratio would now be about a 2.54 rear which is the highest gear Chrysler made. Your gas mileage will improve but your cornering will suffer a little due to the high  center of gravity in the rear end.

  Ron Swartley