[FWDLK] WHY DIDN'T THEY RUN 1/4 MILE IN 1ST & 2ND.????????

----- Original Message -----
From: "eastern sierra Adj Services" <esierraadj@xxxxxxxxx>

> Wonder why they didn't try to run the 1/4 in just 1st-2nd gear?
>
> Neil Vedder

You ask why they didn't try to run the 1/4 mile in just 1st and 2nd gear?
NO, NO, NO, NO, Neil. If you or any of the guys on the list ever get to talk to the guys who ran stick shift Plymouths or Dodges professionally in the quarter mile, you will find they ran 4.56 & 4.89 rear ends. ( not at Daytona Beach though ) First gear was ok for spinning tires to clean them off, but you started in 2nd gear and shifted to high gear close to the end of the 1/4 mile. 1st gear to 2nd gear was terrible to shift in a mopar and you always ended up with your fist hitting the dash.  The 2nd  to 3rd shift was an easy shift  with a mopar in those days.------Way back then when I found out about this starting method, I make sure my 56 Fury was powerflight with the right rear end ratio. Some sticks were a little quicker then the same cars with automatic, but they were never as consistent.

       Ron