Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 29 Jan 2008 to 31 Jan 2008 (#2008-31)

Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 29 Jan 2008 to 31 Jan 2008 (#2008-31)

Is the 56 Dodge 500 and the Chrysler 300 on NASCAR track a stage promo photo, you asked?

Paul
      That is a good question and I can only give you my personal opinion after looking at the photo that is on E bay. Back in 1956 the advertising was pretty crude compared to today's hi tech advertising. I am sure we both have seen tons of photos from back then, and 95% of them are real life photos and you can tell because of shadows and positions the photos were taken from, etc. Plus staged photos always had drivers or owners in them most of the time. Now although high technology was not present back then, that does not mean there were not good photographers who shot many many  frames of film and picked  only the best photo for publishing. This I believe is the best photo the photographer got from gosh knows how many photos he may have taken at that time. Also in my 50 years of racing and attending races ( NASCAR & Drag Racing) and reading and looking at photos I have never seen any categories of real photo and staged photos. As far as I know the staged photos were done for Car Ads. I have never seen this car ad, have you? Kiekhaefer favored Hemi Chrysler 300's that is why he had so many more of them  than the single Dodge 500 he raced, but he was always looking at the potential of other Chrysler Hemi's. Common sense tells us if anything could run with a big heavy Mighty Chrysler 300 it would be a little much lighter Dodge Hemi 500 with a 39 cubic inch smaller engine.
    Now Paul, that is just my opinion and I could be wrong. (Even though I own a Marketing and Research Business for 25 years) But I can tell you this----if that were a 1956 Plymouth Fury in that photo running side by side with that great race winning Chrysler 300, then I would have to have that photo no matter what it cost.

     Ron Swartley

PS. Hey Paul, they did not have head phone communications back then-----maybe they were signaling to each other.
A buddy of mine who owns a DeSoto thinks the Dodge driver was told not to pass the Chrysler 300 under any conditions by Kiekhaefer who owned both cars!!!!!!! LOL

1956 Plymouth Fury Stock Drag Strip Record Holder
1956 Plymouth Fury with Chrysler 300 D engine and solid lifters
1958 Plymouth Fury with Golden Commando engine.
1965 Dodge Dart GT with 440 High Pro engine
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6 pak
1978 Chrysler Cordoba with 440 Hi Pro engine
Plus a bunch more that are not all Mopar's