Re: [FWDLK] Shiftless.....and clueless

It was difficult to get an accurate ET using a flagman and watching for the guys at the finish line to jump
up and down if their favorite car and driver finished first.

I have a G-tech meter and offered to use it on the street and car of your choice.

This endless what-if session kind of died out several months ago.

Any times Tim would say were accurate would come from a prepared drag car.
The average street car, back then, was a SLUG.
I was just a kid, but I WAS THERE.

Before that, I hear even the Model A "seemed" fast, way back when they were new
.

Tom S

Neil, Why do we have to keep going over the same ground, as has been mentioned it seems that the factory D500-1 was being created out of step with the established Stock Drag race rules and Dodge was probably in no position or want to Mass produce such a model. Like most special models there is a point were the public will like the car but turn to other more practical models, only a relative small amount of folks opt for these race bred types. When my car was featured in the Mopar Muscle article I had the pleasure of dealing with Geoff Stunkard a Drag Race historian with a vast amount of information on drag racing and as with many records concerning cars of this era his data is incomplete and sources were not well organized. He basically had to settle on pointing out what was already known to us folks who follow these cars. I do think it is revealing that such an accomplished historian included the claims of low 14 sec runs and didn't cast any suspicion in the reference. We cannot fill in the blanks on the 50 year old results but we can see the outline of the overall picture. Again in the only strict references to 1/4 mile races defined as Stock Class Vehicles with Multiple Carbs the Dodge was undefeated and broke the 100 mph mark. Neil I am looking at 56 NHRA records and a 54 Dodge D gas coupe which ran a small cu in dodge Hemi (bored 270 to 289) that ran 101 mph in 56, of course no ET was given but it had to be good and as for the A gas coupe the 56 record holder he was just shy of 110 mph with no ET listed but me thinks maybe low 14s at least, can it be true that it took a decade to break those records. <snip>