[FWDLK] Where's Joe Been? (Off-topic for Chrysler lists.)

[FWDLK] Where's Joe Been? (Off-topic for Chrysler lists.)

Hello to all....

I ws sitting last night, watching TV, when the phone rang.  It was a friend wondering if I was OK, since they'd not seen me "On-line" recently.  It occurred to me that I might send out just this one note, rather than many, to let you all know where I've been.  (Assuming that anyone cares!)

January 14th, I went into the hospital for a total knee replacement (TKN).  It was one of the new "Minimally invasive" replacements, done in the joint replacement wing of a local hospital, and performed by one of the better-known surgeons in the field.  He does about 900 of these a year, and has an excellent reputation.  The hospital stay was to be 3 days, with me leaving in a walker, able to return home for recuperation.

Unfortunately, the three days became 8 days because I developed pneumonia and I had a bad reaction to the pain medication Oxycontin that left me less than rational!  I've spent most of the last two weeks in  my recliner, and most of my exercise has been walking back and forth to the restroom and going to therapy three days a week.  Last night was the first time I've been able to sleep in my own bed, and it was wonderful!  I feel as though I've been eating Vicodin like peanuts, but all the medical professionals, including my physical therapist, tell me it is OK, and to "Keep ahead of the pain" because playing "catch-up" isn't fun!  From my experience, I agree with them.  Another lesson I learned is that the therapists use a type of ice pack that is far superior to anything you can buy in a store and they can sell them to you for a very reasonable price.  The knee doesn't feel too bad but all those muscles up and down the leg ache like a toothache.  It's taken me three sessions to sit at the keyboard and write this.

I can now walk steadily but with pain and know  how to go up and down stairs.  The therapist has me doing the stepmaster machine and parallel bar exercises in addition to his manipulations, and I guess that I feel as though I'm making progress but not nearly as fast as I though it'd be.

Anyhow, enough of this for now!

Thanks for listening,

Joe