Re: [FWDLK] Those of you who sell on eBay

Re: [FWDLK] Those of you who sell on eBay

Eh.  Writing a letter to eBay is like asking your dog to type up your emails for you - you can ask all you want, but if you get an answer it won't make any sense.

The problem as I see it is more like this -

Both buyers and sellers can "retaliate" with the system as it is - it's a level playing field.

But too many buyers want the "nanny state" - big business, big government, mommy & daddy, whatever - to hold their hand for them and tell them what's okay to buy, so they don't have to have the same responsibility they would say, if they bought in person at a flea market, to know how to tell real from fake, to know what's too good to be true usually is, etc.  They just can't handle a level playing field, and most don't understand that a neg or two on a buying account doesn't hurt you, because once you get some feedback built up no one looks at the percentage or how many negs you have.  They'd rather be able to just neg willy nilly, blame the seller for everything from their monitor color being off a bit to the post office misrouting the package, and not have to stop and consider the consequences of their actions.  Even though in today's eBay a seller with more than 2 negs in 30 days can have his account restricted even if the negs are retaliation from deadbeats.

eBay, now that it's a public company, needs to grow, so it can't afford to let us sellers tell those people to pound salt and go to Wal-mart - so they make it harder on us. They have simply accepted that a large percentage of buyers are idiots who need a nanny to hold their hand.  >From the buyer's aspect, I personally find it insulting, but having been a seller myself for a long time I know there's a lot of people out there that are still a few IQ points short of being even mouth-breathers.  Not everyone can help being stupid, and their money is just as green as anyone else's, so...

Of course what they miss is that most sellers are also buyers - and all sellers are their actual customers - and the harder it is to sell, the more will leave, never to return.  With each seller who leaves, taking a unique line of items with them, more buyers leave as they can't find those unique items any more.  And because you can essentially walk away from ebay without closing the account, the result may not be noticed for a long time.

But I have read their goal is to slim down into an upscale online shopping mall with a set number of high volume retailers.  Which is fine, except when I want new made in china crap, I go to Wal-mart, Harbor Freight, or the shopping mall.  Not eBay.  Even CDs and DVDs.. I go to Amazon, where anything over $25 the shipping is free, and if I buy used/below cost from one of their marketplace sellers, I pay like $3 shipping on the average item.  So if they really want to become that online mall I wish them luck - I sure won't shop there.

There are about a dozen alternatives for those who want to sell via online auction and it's just a matter of evaluating which is best and starting accounts at all of them, for the day that Amazon or Microsoft (or even Google) decides to go after the collecibles sellers eBay is screwing, and rather than develop their own brand new site, just buys up one of the existing ones.

From what I have gathered, Overstock.com is a waste of time; they don't support the auction side because it competes with the retail side, and it's done nothing in 3 years.  (Their motors section consisted of a used K-car and a boat trailer when I looked at it).  Ioffer looks nice, but is full of fraud - people with made in china fakes of things like high end purses, electronics, and so on.   And their customer service makes eBay look good, which I didn't think was humanly possible, your account can just dissapear for no apparent reason and that's that, there's nothing you can do about it.

Sites that look good and don't have much bad said about them include ecrater.com and onlineauction.com.  OLA has a good motors section, they're cheaper than eBay at $8/month for unlimited listings and sales, but they run around 1/16th the total listings eBay has   ePier.com looks nice, but is too small, and the one listing I tried there I couldn't even find myself to look at.  But I do like their name, if you're all wet in eBay climb out on ePier and dry off.

Bill K.