[FWDLK] How do I disconnect trans and remove the 383?

[FWDLK] How do I disconnect trans and remove the 383?

Hi all,

I want to remove the 383 from my '59 Dodge while leaving the TorqueFlite in place. Can it be done ?

As I recall, the crankshaft sticks out the rear of the engine. Does the torque converter bolt to the flywheel or a flange, or is it a splined shaft and everything just slides apart? I have not yet removed the bottom cover to look up in there...just trying to learn in advance, and my shop manual ain't here yet. Also, it looks pretty tight under there. Does the engine have to slide forward at all/much to unbolt it from the trans? looks like the oil pan will hit the front cross member after an inch or so, unless it gets lifted about 8 inches, which I dont thik is possible.

Any tips would be appreciated. Meantime I am removing all the accessories, intake, unbolting exhaust, etc, etc. in preparation.

Regards,
Lou