Re: [FWDLK] any California cars owners ot there?

Re: [FWDLK] any California cars owners ot there?

As an ex-Californian, my memory is that 1961 was the first year the state mandated smog equipment and that began with the simple PCV valve mandatory on new cars.  For the Chrysler 300 ram cars of the day this required a fitting in the crossover balance tube and an appropriate breather on one valve cover and a hose joining them.
What happened then was that at various points in time, just like still today, California would write innumerable variations of the "smog laws" as to what equipment was required and what it was applicable to.  It quickly became so confusing that the average mechanic shop had no idea what was /not legal so instead took advantage of the even less well informed car owners and told tens of thousands of car owners that they needed to retrofit multiple equipment items on to their older car.  Most of the time those older cars were exempt.  Dual carbureted cars from Hudson Hornets with twin single barrels to our (prior to '61) Letter Cars with dual quads were ALWAYS exempt but a high percentage of them got 'sold' smog equipment, usually PCV installs.
The PCV adapter plate shown in that auction would have been suitable to any quad carb equipped engine with that bolt pattern.

Wayne