Re: [FWDLK] 1955 new yorker hesitation

I think it may already have been mentioned, but I'd first look at the accelerator pump in the carburetor.  They are leather and tend to dry out and harden as the years pass.  The part is normally included in a carb rebuild kit - it probably would not hure to got through the rest of the carb, too.  If you've ever built a scale model kit of a car like those kits from Revell, Jordan or AMT, you can probably handle rebuilding your carb.  Instructions are normally included with a kit - if they aren't, get your factory workshop manual out - or bring that carb to a shop.

You might be able to tell if it's bad if you pull the air cleaner off, look down the carb throat, and pump the accelerator linkage through its full stroke a few times quickly - I know with the later Carter AFBs, you can clearly see a stream of gas shooting into the carb throat - and this comes from the accelerator pump.  If it's just a trickle or non-existant, then I'd point the finger at the accelerator pump.

John Spiers
Lake Worth, Florida

Brent Burger <cgico@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a problem with poor acceleration and when I step on the gas to
go the engine seems to die down then picks up speed.  I just took the
car out from storage for the winter and this problem was there last
summer I just never did anything about it.
I would like to fix the problem or problems that can cause this but
not sure were to start,  .....

    Going to electronic ignition will stabilize the spark end of a lag problem.  Fuel supply can also be suspect and chased out for pressure and flow.  I had the worst case of lag with my Coronet that just drove me nuts for years.  I rebuilt the carb twice, put in electronic ignition .... still it sputtered when I gave it gas before picking up.  I grew ever more suspicious it was the tranny  -   the torque converter in particular  -  and when the 4-speed conversion was done last year, sure enough, .... end of problem.  Some later testing supported it was some stuck stator vanes.

   Probably an unusual problem compared to spark and fuel, but a possibility to be aware of.

   B.