Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 16 May 2008 to 17 May 2008 (#2008-132

Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 16 May 2008 to 17 May 2008 (#2008-132)

Title: L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 16 May 2008 to 17 May 2008 (#2008-132)
First, I know I may be a little late, but I promise this will be my first and only message in regards to fuel prices...

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed scrolling through the Gas Prices "discussion" (and ensuing name calling and general school yard antics).  I appreciate being told by some what I should or shouldn't think is a fair price for gas, regardless of anyone else on the list knowing my financial situation or what impact the recent jump in fuel costs may have on my financial outlook.

Since few others have done so, I wanted to offer my SOLUTION to the gas situation.  A few times I saw people using then and now wages to justify the fuel cost.  We should use that same formula when calculating gas prices for each individual.  So, for me, I would be paying around $2-$3 per gallon (when I started driving I could purchase gas for around $1-$1.20 per gallon, I now make between 2-3 times what I did then, based on an hourly pay rate, so my current fuel cost should be around $2-$3 per gallon).  Likewise, someone else who is perhaps a bit further along in their career or has been fortunate enough to land a high paying job, perhaps that individual is making 20, 30, even 40 times what they did when they started driving.  Using examples I saw previously, let's say fuel was around $.40 per gallon when the individual started driving, they would now pay around $12 per gallon.  I really like this idea as it keeps my fuel prices more reasonable, and it helps personalize "inflation" based on an individuals change in earning potential.  Plus, everything should even out for the oil companies, as some individuals will be paying less than cost, while others will be paying much more.  In fact, this could be another good way to boost oil industry profits.

Now, I have many other hair-brained schemes and ideas...or really, I don't have any, but can create one in a matter of minutes.  I live in the Midwest.  So if anyone would like to pay me 60k-80k per year for other brilliant ideas, please e-mail me off list with your job offers.

Thanks,
Garrett