Re: [FWDLK] MORE INSIGHTS~ QUESTIONS ON WHATZIT WORTH

Re: [FWDLK] MORE INSIGHTS~ QUESTIONS ON WHATZIT WORTH

Bill,

Tranny adapters are designed to fit the old engines and new trannies. If you want to use a newer engine, use a newer tranny.

The easiest solution to use a late 318 is to find a 62 Chrysler 727 TorqueFlite. This is the only year that the 727 had a brake drum on the end of the tail shaft. Then you need to find a 62 – 65 TF from a 318. These were all pushbutton 727s. Transfer the 62 Chrysler tail housing/drum to the 318 pushbutton 727 TF. Now you have a 727 with the drum and pushbuttons that fits a 318. No adapter needed.

Imperial Services makes new tranny mounts to fit a 727 into a 57. They also make new pushbutton cables and speedo cables any length or style you need. And they are working on a method to shift the later 66 and newer 727s which used a mechanical linkage by using a pushbutton cable with an adapter. Then you could use a 518 overdrive tranny.

http://www.imperialservices.net/

You can see all the details of my 727 conversion of my 56 Dodge on my web page at:

http://webpages.charter.net/dhomstad/TransmissionFrame1Source1.htm

Dave Homstad

56 Dodge D500/ 727