Re: [FWDLK] rear axles and parking brake conversion

Re: [FWDLK] rear axles and parking brake conversion

Bill K. wrote:
I'm not sure what works in the 55-56 and 57-59 cars, if there is a later model Mopar (or even Ford, blasphemy I know, but the wheel bolt pattern is the same) that's a direct bolt-in, or if you have to move the perches on the housing. (I'm sure one can be found that's the right width).

FYI - I put an '70 E body rear axle in my '59 Dodge a few years ago: it appears to be a SMIDGE narrower, but pulling on the leaf springs by hand lined up the perches. I do not recall doing any modifications at all. I stuck with the trans mounted parking brake but am experiencing some problems with it (I think the part where the cable mounts to the housing is messed up).

I was thinking about converting to using the rear drums for parking brake: QUESTION: Can you get enough leverage with the handbrake to apply adequate pressure on the rear brake shoes to keep the car from rolling? I don't want to break that mechanism by pulling on it too hard - its not that sturdy. I think less pressure is required with the centrally mounted drum.

Lou