Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 3:44 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] Axle Assembly Interchanges

I have received some helpful and corrective private posts since my last on this subject.  Thanks guys.  Eating a bit of crow and therefore the following:

           The ?69 Chrysler axle assembly swapped into my ?57 DeSoto has a spring perch width change of just under two inches from 47.3" of the ?69 back to 45.5" of the ?57.   I obviously am mistaken and the shop that did the work had to move them.  I?ve spoken with him today, Sunday ? too many cars in the interim - but he will look at the axle and verify this tomorrow.

            The most important dimension was flange to flange difference in the case of this swap where disc brakes were also being added to the ?69 axle.  That difference is just 13/16 of an inch from the 55_5/8? width of the ?57 axle to the 56_7/16? width of the ?69 axle.   I have installed 17 x 8 wheels with 245 /50 tires onto this car and they have no clearance issues to the inner wheel well nor to the inner fender.  I did not have to loosen the lower mounting of the KYB shocks (which have a shorter extended length than original shocks) in order to install the wheel and tire.

            In conclusion, I was mistaken about the spring perch width being close enough to not need changed;  the ?69s were cut off and new welded in place.  The width of the ?69 axle assembly was very close however and worked perfectly in this ?57 DeSoto.

I have a page in MS Word that includes the above comments and the dimensions charts and would be happy to send it to anyone requesting.

Wayne G