Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 30 May 2008 to 31 May 2008 (#2008-146

Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 30 May 2008 to 31 May 2008 (#2008-146)

Years ago I bought a 65 Fury for the a/c unit.  The drive train had been removed.  In order to have a "roller" the seller needed a rear end for the car.  The only extra rear axle he had was from a 1955 Chevy.  It bolted right in.  There may be many other rear ends that fit the Forward-Lookers as well as the C body units.

In a message dated 5/31/2008 9:00:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
http://www.lsoft.com/ http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?LIST=L-FORWARDLOOK

L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 30 May 2008 to 31 May 2008 (#2008-146)

Table of contents:

  1. Axle Assembly Interchanges

Browse the L-FORWARDLOOK online archives.

http://www.lsoft.com/products/listserv-powered.asp

Date:    Sat, 31 May 2008 09:44:01 -0500
From:    Wayne Graefen <wgraefen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Axle Assembly Interchanges

Someone will have to find the range of year interchanges but I used a '69 C body (big cars - Chrysler, Big Dodge, Big Plymouth) rear axle assembly in my modified '57 DeSoto.  So this would be a '57-59 interchange.  This is a bolt in.  The spring perches are a total of 1/2 inch narrower so the springs are tweaked only 1/4" inward per side at their apex.  While an engineer wouldn't like even that minor deflection when planning the ultimate longevity of the spring bushings, for a collector car that will likely not travel 50K miles in the rest of its lifetime, I personally don't see a problem.
I don't recall the overall drum face-to-face width difference from the original '57 axle assembly to the '69 assy. but it may have been the same 1/2".
If someone finds a Mopar axle assys dimension chart giving spring perches and overall lengths on the net, please post the link.

I think it goes without saying that this change to a '69 supplies emergency brake capability within the rear brake assemblies that the '57 brakes did not have.  It gets away from the tapered axle hassle.
What if a '57-59 owner was retaining his Powerflite or Torqueflite with the trans mounted e-brake?  No problem - leave the axle e-brake parts non-functioning.

Wayne G.