Re: [FWDLK] Need Starter advice 57 Imp 392 hemi

Re: [FWDLK] Need Starter advice 57 Imp 392 hemi

Jeff,

When I converted my 56 Dodge Hemi to a 727 TorqueFlite, the original starter
would no longer fit the newer transmission. I bought a high-torque gear
reduction starter from Summit. About $160 4 years ago. I am very happy so
far.

I also converted my 56 Olds to a similar starter. Also very happy.

All starters are not created equal and may have different output power
ratings. These are common standard starters with modified mounting flange
adapters and gears to fit older engines. $269 sounds high to me, but there
are probably not many sources for modified starters.

If using the original wiring, the original solenoid activation is done by a
relay on the inner fender and only one heavy wire goes to the starter. Newer
starters have a large battery terminal and a smaller solenoid terminal.
Connect the 2 terminals on the starter together with a jumper so when the
fender starter relay sends current to the starter's battery terminal, the
solenoid terminal will also be activated to turn the starter on.

Your shop manual should tell you how many teeth your current starter has, in
the specification section.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500