Re: [FWDLK] Need Starter advice 57 Imp 392 hemi

Re: [FWDLK] Need Starter advice 57 Imp 392 hemi

Hello all,
    I just wanted to thank everyone for your information and offers for my 392 hemi starter on my 57 Imperial.
I now have a couple of original spares on the way for possible future use, and I also bought one of the gear reduction starters from Speedway Motors for $300.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/5432,383_Early-Hemi-PowerMaster-Gear-Reduction-Starters.html

Other then the fact that the gear reduction starter is very tough to get installed as the top starter bolt is completely covered by the starter so you have to go in "from the back" (which is very difficult), I could not be happier!  It probably took me 2 hours to get it installed and I did have to get a longer battery and starter relay wires as the new starter is halve as long as the original so the wires had to stretch further to reach the starter.
Anyway,
The mighty 392 Hemi starts instantly EVERY time.
(key on, rur-VROOM)
It never worked like that before and the hot starting issues which have plagued this car appear (knock on wood) to be completely gone.

I did have to count the number of teeth on my torque converter (172) before ordering o I got the correct one but all seems fantastic as of now.

My brother john is so impressed he is ordering one for his 58 Imperial,  as he has had hot starting issues in the past with his hemi also.

Anyway just wanted to report the good news in case anyone else is contemplating a switch to a gear reduction starter also.

Thanks again!

Jeff
(57 Imperial - Single headlights)