Re: [FWDLK] Fwd: A tire safety issue worth watching - video

Re: [FWDLK] Fwd: A tire safety issue worth watching - video

Jason,

Very well stated.  I remember being in my father's car business in the late 1950s and early 1960s.  I changed a lot of tires back then.  There were three brands that I would not have on my car, which are General, BFGoodrich and Uniroyal.  All frequently developed bubbles on the outside of the tire, and General and BFG developed bulges in the sidewall along the tire bead.

My wife bought a new Buich Skylark in 1966 and before the car had 25000 miles on it (within a couple of years) all four original Uniroyal tires had blown out.  One at 90+ miles an hour in Nevada, which did not have rural speed limits back then.  There was no problem controlling the car and stopping.   My wife was driving and said "What's wrong with the car?"

I am still of the belief that the difference in tire brands is very significant with respect to catastrophic failure.

Of course, any tire can fail if there is significant under or over-inflation, etc.  Too many people don't properly maintain their tires and then blame the manufacturer when a problem occurs.  I remember when my son turned 16.  He thought that he would do me a favor and air up the tires.  The car was sitting on the driveway when one of the Goodyear tires exploded.  The remaining tires had something like 90 psi in them!

I have a 1982 Buick Riviera convertible that has a set of Goodyear tires which are around 15 years old.  It only gets driven occasionally in the summer.  I have no hesitation of driving it at highway speeds.  And, I am not ready to buy a new set of tires in view of the TV documentary.

Best regards,

Jim