[FWDLK] Tranny shifting

I think that Dan has diagnosed the problem, but, the cure may be in some question.

I called my friendly tranny-shop today (which doesn't "like" to work on cast iron 'Flites, as they are somehow stone-age
compared to the alloy-boys).

Anyway: he said to take a dipstick reading now, with the car stone-cold, and then either drive it or run it thru the gears (I already well-knew about the fullness-reading protocol) , and then wait about 1-3 minutes, and re-check the 'stick, to see if the fluid may have returned to its cold-level (due to anti-backflow leakage, in the torque converter. The T/C drains-down, and then needs
to be 'pumped-up' with fluid before the tranny will initially shift gears).

I recorded a cold-level' well beyond the word  "Check" , on the stick.

After starting the car, but before I tried to engage any gears, I waited 20-ish seconds to see if that time period
might allow the T/converter to pump-up.

The car went right into gear, after allowing the T/C to pump up.

Instead of taking a test drive, I started the car and went thru the gears, for about a minute, and re-checked the stick while
the engine was running, in "N" (naturally).

The Fill-level was, surprisingly, about 1/8"-1/4" below the "F" mark.

Turned off the engine, waited 3 minutes, and re-stuck the trannie and recorded a fill-level @ the first C in "Check", which was more of a net-difference between cold-and-hot, than was the amount of under-full that I recorded.

Presumably, a non-leaking-down T/C would either hold its fluid level, or, take a lot longer to drain-down.

So, I will test-drive the car, again, to see if the fill-level might actually be low, but, that doesn't appear to be the culprit
as far as the leaking-down T/C is concerned.

If the trannie is in fact low, then I don't need to worry about buying a filler-tube drain pump (no small pump-system seems
to be available in our Burg, anyway).

No one seems to carry Sea Foam, but Kragens says that it stocks Lucas, Prestone, and Barr's additives.

I'm going to be going to Carson City next month, so I should be able to get MoPar trannie fluid and the Seafoam stuff (at a Wally-
Mart?)

I like the idea of a sort of long-term additive, like Seafoam; anybody had any experience with the three above-referenced products?

BTW, I really like Lucas' power steering Stop Leak, but Lucas' engine-oil additive has been shown (on an internet-site; yeah, I know: the internet is 'always' right!) in a see-through enclosure, to RESTRICT oil from adhering to a set of gears, at speed.

SO, it looks like I might need to seal-up/rejuvenate the T/C's anti-leakdown seal !

Neil Vedder

Daniel Motley wrote:
Change your filter/fluid. If no change, your anti-backflow seal in the converter is bad.