To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] interesting photo

Betty Skelton is/was truly an iconic figure, in the Pentastar Pantheon.

On the corporate level, her accomplishments in the Mobilgas Economy Run, and as a notable competitor and test driver/
spokesperson, rank right up there with Sir Richard.

The Firearrow she drove sold at the B-J last year, for $1-mil. Anybody know/recall who bought it, and who bought its
companion Firearrow  show car?

Who owns the two Firesweep cars; hardtop and convertible?

Neil Vedder

yne Graefen wrote:
I have a brochure entitled "Big Day at the Proving Grounds which is the story in photos and captions of June 16, 1954, the day the 4000 acres near Chelsea, MI, opened with ceremony and pageantry. Well into the book is a picture of Betty Skelton and another of her driving the Dodge FireArrow. Captions: "27 year old airplane and racing pilot from Daytona Beach, sets out to establish a women's world record in a special Dodge FireArrow sports car. She takes two fast warm-up laps and...." "...the checkered flag drops as she hurtles past the AAA timer... which shows she negotiated the 4.7 mile oval in 1 minute and 58 secnds -- at a speed of 143.44 mph!" "Smiles Betty as she is presented with a dozen Chrysler Imperial roses, 'It was fun. That Dodge is really a breeze to drive.' " The pics are B&W and grainy and would not scan well. I'm guessing Chrysler had Betty under contract for perhaps the year of 1954 which would include introduction of the '55 cars. Point is for all the decades that GM built "dream cars" for the auto shows that were non-running show cars with lots of "sizzle", Chrysler was building running driving concept cars that could go out and set records. Chrysler gave you the "steak".
 Wayne G