Re: [FWDLK] 1956 Chrysler New Yorker Interior Door Handle/Window Crank R

Re: [FWDLK] 1956 Chrysler New Yorker Interior Door Handle/Window Crank Removal

Eric, The special tools work well, but you can remove the handles by making a simple tool to push on the spring clip. I  took a plastic putty knife scraper type tool like you buy in the paint department at a local hardware and cut a notch in it about 3/4" wide and 3/4" deep and put a slight bend in the inside edge to enable it to push the clip. Point the widow crank straight down and insert the tool from the left side and push the clip while pulling on it. Similar procedure for the door handle. If this isn't clear maybe someone on the list more computer literate than me can draw a diagram for us. Hope this helps! Dick W.
----- Original Message -----
From: ESkowron
Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 8:57 AM
Subject: [FWDLK] 1956 Chrysler New Yorker Interior Door Handle/Window Crank Removal

Hello everyone!

I am having the upholstery and door panels redone in my ?56 New Yorker and the new seats look stunning.  Now for the door panels: I am here in Australia, and most people here have never seen a car like that let alone have the handy little tool for removing the interior door handles and window cranks to get the door panels off.  Does anyone have a trick for removing these without damaging the vinyl or trim portions of the door panels?  Do I need a special tool to remove them and if so, where would I be able to find one?

Thanks!!

Regards,

Eric