[FWDLK] Magical Mystery Staples

Over the course of the last few decades, I've wondered what that magical-metal penetrating
stapler must have looked, and operated, 'like'.

Probably not un-like my office's Swingline, I'll bet, but, a tad louder!.

Consider this, anyone who has ever removed the remains of the OEM window/quarter panel cats-whisker weatherstrips', or, those inner fender rubber splash shields' OEM attaching staples : how much hydraulic pressure (and noise) would have been required to insert
those staples through that fairly heavy gauge steel ?

Line-painters used to, or at least, were not required, to wear respirators (there's a photo I've got of them, as late as 1965, painting a Baccaruda bare-faced), so I'm wondering what kind of
ear protection those stapler-guys wore.

Those staples were installed after the window sills and the inner fenders were painted; they should have been installed at the same sub-line station. That only makes sense.
.
There should have been a huge multi-ton press involved, that inserted all the staples at one time with the operator merely inserting the weatherstrips and mud flaps onto an alignment jig.

But, the direction and location of the staples' insertion indicates that the staples may have been
installed individually, and by hand.

Wouldn't it be fun to go back in time, and to cringe, watching our cars get built?

Neil Vedder

Fury Jim wrote:
hi ed,
they were actually stapled with "magical metal-penetrating staples" from the factory, and flap inboard as well towards the engine, over the control arms. i have several original examples if you'd like to see. as a replacement, i acquired at first [from year one] the GM a-body counterpart, cut them to pattern size for the 57-9- the trick to look original is to remove the original staples, and from behind, with a thick sewing needle, puncture the new flap in the same spots the staples penetrated the steel inner fender- then use 18awg solid copper wire and make little sutures that appear as staples, twist them or fold them facing the wheel- then with a permanent black marker- give them a little hit to tone down the copper color. this can be done with cheaper materials as well- like generic sheets of rubber steam-fitters' gasket material