  B.

From: Garrett <TheBulkster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
There's this dumb, stupid spring that wraps around the drum on my front brakes of my 57 Dodge.  I made the idiotic mistake of removing it on one side...I'm not sure why, probably just curiosity.  I'm guessing by the depression around the base of the drum that it is indeed meant to be there, and I'm guessing it helps do something....although its most effective purpose right now is to aggravate or be thrown for distance.  Assuming my car will be driven at most a couple of miles between now and the time I either overhaul or replace the brakes with discs, will leaving the spring off be a big deal?  Is it even necessary in the first place?  What's the trick to getting the spring back around the brake drum?

Also when adjusting the brakes currently on the car, the cams that are supposed to be turned to adjust really have nothing for a wrench or similar such tool to grab onto.  Of the four cams (two each side), there's only one that I can find a socket to fit it so I can actually adjust it.  The other three have no discernable "face" or "sides" onto which a wrench or socket can grip anything.  Is this just a case of worn out brakes?  Is there some trick or special tool I am unaware of?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Garrett