Re: [FWDLK] Lookin 4 convertible 59 60 61 (2)

Re: [FWDLK] Lookin 4 convertible 59 60 61 (2)

Bill's statement, that (it would appear that) significantly "more" FWDLK convertibles were sold in the rust-belt states than in the non-ruster states, is akin to saying that "more" sailors come from
the non-coastal/inland  states, than otherwise.

Both claims have a certain appeal to them, but, I think that the truth of the matter is that the convies were SO poorly assembled that they didn't tend to survive in
ANY geographical  area in which they were sold.

The upholstery cloth tended to shred-at-will, under daily usage, and the bodies/tops leaked whenever it DID rain, and, the finned body styling went out of favor in the early 60's, so that there was no particular interest in trying to repair, preserve or to restore these models, when "newer-better", more fashionable cars
became  available.

I don't believe that there were as many (big) wrecking/salvage yards established in the west/south-west as there were in the rest of the country. Maybe the 'surviving' convertible-wreckage got more readily crushed or recycled, than it did, in the more expansive open areas of the U.S., and/or the rust-free convertible bodies DID get picked-over quickly, so that they disappeared, leaving only the rusted-wreckage that is still
being (literally-) unearthed today.

Neil Vedder

Bill K. wrote:
I'll second that. "almost any condition" and "no rust" is a contradiction in terms, particularly with these cars, since Mopar always sold better in places more likely to cause cars to rust. I figure if you can find one that has a good frame under it, you're doing pretty good. Or if it's a unibody, if the bumpers haven't rotted off it yet.

I'd suggest watching Hemmings, eBay, and other vehicle markets, with the economy down you might be able to scoop up a bargain from someone with a bad mortgage to pay off or something. Smaller auctions might be worth looking at, too. But like he said it's not 1960 anymore, these cars are tough to find in any condition - heck when you're talking in some cases production numbers under 1000, they were hard to find when still relatively new. In fact, DeSoto didn't offer a convertible for '60 or '61, so you're not going to find one of those at all. Unless you happen on one someone made up, which has happened a couple times.

In any case, good luck, and be prepared to throw cash at someone.

Bill K.