[FWDLK] 1959 Dodge 383 rebuild: Any special notes?

[FWDLK] 1959 Dodge 383 rebuild: Any special notes?

Hello, all,

I pulled the engine from my '59 Dodge Coronet D500 and dropped off the engine at the machine shop. At the very least I am pretty sure it will need head/valve work, but they are going to check it out and get back to me with recommendations.

Are there any special "gotcha's" with these early 383s that a typical shop might not be aware of? I'd like to compile a list of tips or recommendations that are specific to this engine (if there are any) - to include performance or reliability upgrades.

I did this for the 428FE in my '66 Galaxie and came up with 6 pages of special considerations for that engine, from oiling system improvements, to tips on avoiding common mistakes, all collected from various web sites and mailing lists like this one.
Examples from that list:

- Note that the cam plug in the back of the block plug goes in “backwards” with the convex side out. This is different than most other engines, such as small block Chevy.

** - Don’t use Felpro Print-O-Seal intake gaskets. For some reason they tend to fail on an FE with normal street use. This is restated over and over all over the net, with tons of photos of the blown out gaskets.

- There is an oil channel alignment issue on all FEs . The #1, #2, and #4 bearing saddles do not align oiling holes with the main bearings. The rest may or may not align. The holes in the saddles can be adjusted to make them align.

Do you think there would be any such list of early 383 characteristics or tips out there ? Anyone care to contribute something ?

Thanks,
Lou