Re: [FWDLK] 1959 Dodge 383 rebuild: Any special notes?

Re: [FWDLK] 1959 Dodge 383 rebuild: Any special notes?

The later B engines didn't even use exhaust manifold gaskets, resurface the manifolds( if they are warped) and they can be installed either with a thin smear of high-temperature RTV silicone, or nothing at all.
A quality three-angle valve job is well worth the money, setting the valve stem heights afterward will ensure a smoother idle and vacuum readings. Use the smaller a/c water pump impeller, it will circulate the water a bit slower, so it picks up more heat and will free up a tiny bit of horsepower. A new high volume oil pump is a good addition to a rebuilt 383, as is a quality timing chain/ gear set. The valve timing needs to be properly checked when the timing gears go on too, it isn't good enough to just eyeball the marks.

Mike