Re: [FWDLK] 47 desoto suburban disc brake conversion?

The Scarebird guy's stuff has a good reputation on some of the other lists for modern Mopars, last I saw a thread.  I bought a set of brackets from him for the rear of my '72 Cuda and it was very well made.  But I would say you should be very specific as to fitment.  I had a '51 Plymouth some years ago which if I recall did have the 4.5 pattern, but my '56 Chrysler Windsor had the bigger pattern, so maybe it depended on the size class of the car, or maybe all Chryslers and Desotos had the big pattern, that I don't know.  I will make an additional suggestion:  I know AAJ Brakes had a kit for my '56 Chrysler, to convert to late discs with 4.5 pattern.  I didn't do the conversion, sold the car instead.  I did use an AAJ kit to convert my '65 Imperial, and the kit used Ford F150 rotors to retain the 5.5 pattern of the Imperial, everything worked great.  He does list Desoto as covered on his website, but he doesn't list specific years and models, it might be worth an email.  I bought the basic kit and bought all the standard parts like rotors, calipers, and master cylinder locally to save on shipping.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana '60 Chrysler Saratoga kustom; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible; '65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB 340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now 360; '70 Challenger now 440; '72 Cuda '340

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:52:44 -0500
From: Truttahunter@xxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] 47 desoto suburban disc brake conversion?
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

sorry not forwardlook but has anybody out there ever modified one of these 40s era cars to disc ? I changed the rear end so the rear wheel lug pattern is the more modern 5 X 41/2, was hoping to do the same to front. Scarebird sounded like they had a kit but it uses the original front drum hub.? Did the cars with 11" brakes have a smaller ( 5 X 4 1/2) lug pattern? my 12" drums have a large wheel lug pattern. I also was thinking of changing to chevy cavalier rack and pinion but I am a little worried about front end geometry...

Thanks- Jack Luiten

58 plymouth belvedere
68 dodge charger
47 desoto suburban