[FWDLK] Someone's gonna get lucky

Hi group,
It's with heavy heart and mixed emotions that I write this.  My elderly longtime dear friend, John Hollensteiner, is dying of cancer.  He's in his 80s, it's inevitable, and he's at peace with everything.  He's a great guy.

I've known John since the early 90s, when I moved back to this area (Roseburg, OR), and pulled off the interstate just as he drove by in his '58 Imperial.  I followed him for miles trying to get his attention, finally meeting up with him at the dairy he worked at.  We've been friends since.

The crown jewel of John's car collection has always been his black '58 Belvedere convertible.  Over the years, as he's aged, the rest of his Mopar flock slowly was sold off (or given away to his friends - as is John's style).  Now he's down to his '65 Dodge convert, and the Belvy convert.

The reason for this posting and the title it has - is the drama part of John's life.  I'm gonna try to not sound too whiny but if anyone will understand my feelings on this I think this group would.  John left his wife for another woman right around the time I met him about 20 years ago.  He never went back, but he always felt guilty.  So guilty that he has given her, materially, everything she'll ever need (she's near 80 herself, now).  John's current wife is a lovely lady, and John and her consider me to be family.

John tried to give me his Belvy convert the other day.  Said it should stay in the "family" and that he knows I'd take care of it the way he'd want, next to my '57 Fury, just like so many car shows we've attended.  (ironically, at the indoor Tulsa show in '07 it spooked me when a black '58 Belvy convert was placed right next to Mr. Finzzz!  Remember that, Tulsa goers?).  However, ex-wife is on the title with John.  She won't hear of it.  She's placed an ad for the Belvy on I think the Old Car Trader for $40K.  I have not seen the ad.

John's guilty feelings over leaving his ex have caused him to do whatever she's told him to do regarding property for a long time now.  It has really caused rancor between his current wife and her.  But now that he's very sick, he doesn't fight his ex on these decisions anymore.  I've tried to get him to, but he won't.

Unfortunately, there's no way I have an extra $40K falling out my butt.  I KNOW the car is worth that, and that is the reason for my melancholy.  Not just for my personal pity party at probably losing my dear friend soon, but also for seeing another great friend - the Belvedere - which I'm sure someone - maybe someone from this list - will soon be buying and taking home with them.  I just wanted everyone to know the story behind the car.  And wondered if anyone had seen the ad or was considering buying the Belvy.  You'll be getting a lot more than a '58 Plymouth Belvedere convertible, you'll be getting a couple of longtime buddies' best connection to our longtime friendship.

Mark J. Hash