[FWDLK] oil seal installation

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to install my timing gears/chain and cover.  The gasket kit I bought for the cover came with a new oil seal , as well (to my surprise).  It looks like an improvement over the 50's design - almost like a double gasket with a thin spring to provide tension.  My question is two-fold: First, does anyone have experience with this type of seal (it is a Fel-Pro gasket kit)?  Is it at least as good as the original design?  Second, the instructions say "IMPORTANT: Do not install any seal without break-in lubricant protection."  This might be a dumb question, but what is "break-in" lubricant?  Also, what surfaces do you apply it to?

One last question - when it comes to installing the seal, I was told to freeze it before installing so the metal contracts and it installs easier.  Is it OK to lubricate the sides with, say, WD-40 also?  Any other tips to make the installation easier?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan Scott
58 Fireflite sedan