Re: [FWDLK] oil seal installation

Bryan:

     When I put the front seal on my 56 Fury 303, I also came upon a shiny stainless sleeve that fit tightly on the end of the crank to provide a smooth surface for the seal.  It has been a couple years since I did that, and don't remember who made or sold it.  I would recommend getting one if you can find it.  I gave it to my engine rebuilder who seemed to know all about it. You could ask your rebuilder, or do an internet search for the sleeve.

     As for fitting the seal, I believe it should tap into the timing chain cover anyway you can get it there.  Engine rebuilding grease or lubricant is not very viscous and is needed only to protect the seal until regular engine oil starts circulating.

     John