Bill,

    Before you do anything, check the biggest problem the 2/4 bbl Fury's had. You must be sure you are getting full throttle, check it with the carburetor chock in the perfectly straight up and down position. I used to take my return springs off and then adjust the linkage with the gas pedal to the floor. While the pedal is on the floor I would get under the car and also adjust the transmission linkage to make sure that it was going as far back as it could. Most of the time it is a linkage adjustment problem. I would bet this is your problem. After you are done, hook the return springs up and put the pedal  again to the floor and make sure you are getting full throttle with the springs hooked up. Bill I really think this was an assembly line problem for Plymouth, when I was drag racing in the 50's & 60's every 57 and 58 Fury I saw was not getting full throttle, I guess they set the carburetors linkage on the assembly line with the chock closed since the motors were not heated up enought to open the chock. Therefore the Fury's got about 3/4 throttle. Once this problem is taken care of, you will be surprised how much more power your Fury has when you step it down. The thing that bothers me the most is the magazine road test were probably done with 57 and 58 Fury's with 3/4 throttle. About 2 years ago at the "All Chrysler Products Nationals" in Carlisle we checked 5 Fury's and 4 out of the 5 were getting 3/4 throttle and the 5th one was getting a little more than 3/4 but not full throttle. Sometime I wonder it this was just a Plymouth problem or if it might have also happen with D-500-1 and DeSoto Adventures and Chrysler 300 letter series. You see, Plymouth, Dodge, and DeSoto did not have dual carburetors until 1957 which was the first year for production line dual carbs, so I guess they were just learning.Does not matter if it is a 318 or a 350 golden commando engine. That was 50+ years ago so some may have been corrected over the years. Also be very very careful if one or both return springs were replace, and they used a litter stiffer spring or springs, this two contributed to the problem.

                  Ron Allyn Swartley

In a message dated 7/8/2009 10:13:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, MprMgic writes:
Hi Ron & Wendy,
    Hope you guys are doing well, sorry I won't be able to attend Carlisle this year, it sure was fun last year. Hopefully next year. Ron, do you know where I can get the high peformance weights or hp govenor?  My '58 Fury shifts up too soon. I remember my first '58 staying in second to at least 80 mph. Mine now won't stay in second past 65-70 mph.
 Thanks for your help, sure do miss you both and look forward to seeing you soon!
                                                                          Your friend,
                                                                          Bill Craffey

-----Original Message-----
From: archangel1390@xxxxxxx
To: eddee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; goldenfin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, Jul 6, 2009 7:10 pm
Subject: Re: [GFS] HI PERF TORQUE FLITE SHIFT POINT

Ed,

I used the high performance transmission weights in my 59 Sport Fury 361 Golden Commando when I was drag racing. Never checked low speed shift points,  but it held second gear about 15 MPH long than the normal shift point, under full throttle. I believe when I ordered the governor weight they told me it was standard equipment on all Plymouth Police cars. You probably know that if you leave in second gear and keep it floored it will automatically shift out into high gear. The weight just holds it about 15 MPH longer.

             Ron Swartley