Re: [FWDLK] Crash Test: 1959 vs. 2009

Hello All,
Sorry- Wasn't looking to open any political cans of worms, so I'll dispense with that immediately.
I should have said 'Pro-Government' as in- Junk your old 'unsafe' cars and buy new 'ecofriendly' small 'Safe' cars...
If any of you are familiar with the British TV show Top Gear- I share Jeremy Clarkson's views on that point.

Anyway- from my very own experience-
I backed a 73 Charger into a cinder block WALL one time at about 15mph, hit it at an angle- it scuffed the chrome on the bumper- punched a hole in the wall, or at least busted out a couple of blocks.
Later I had a 03 SRT-4.  Wife backed into it in our driveway- 2mph if that much.  Destroyed the fenders, hood and front bumper 'cover'..about $3000 in damage.  Perfect chance to upgrade to Carbon fiber but other than that, thing was as flimsy as a stryofoam cup! Scorchingly fast, but flimsy.

I LOVE the C-body cars..I've owned dozens over the years.  I have a 82 New Yorker now, which is technically an M body, descended of the F-body, which in reality was an updated A-body.  Great car, rides well, etc, but I'm looking for a 73-74-75 Imperial now, and of course the ever-elusive 60-61 New Yorker/Windsor/Saratoga.

Anyway- Back on topic- the guys on the forum I mentioned came to many of the same conclusions as all of you did- the car was without drivetrain, parts were not attached correctly, etc. I also have to question how much corrosion was in the frame/body.  Late 50's Chevy's, much like our beloved FL cars, were not known for corrosion resistance.  I also have to look at all of the 50's cars I've seen in junkyards- has ANYONE ever seen one so badly mangled??? And I don't mean RUSTED in half, I mean collision damaged.  I haven't.  And I've been in a hell of a lot of midwestern junkyards.

Well- that's all for now.
Enjoy!
Charles.