From: David Homstad [mailto:dhomstad@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:24 AM
To: mark.drewitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: eBay Golden Lancer

Dear Crevier Classics,

I have seen the listing of your 1956 Dodge Golden Lancer D500 on eBay. The
item description contains a few errors. As we all know, sometimes these
errors find a way to become established facts, gaining strength every time
they are passed on, especially when nobody bothers to correct them. I know
that you strive to protect your company's reputation, not knowingly pass on
erroneous information, and would appreciate positive feedback. I know the
restorer and history of this car. So I have put together a commentary on
your description to assist you in correcting the errors.
1. Your car is a legitimate 1956 Dodge Golden Lancer D500, as built by the
factory.
2. It is NOT a D500-1. It was not built by the factory that way. It has none
of the real dash one hardware. It does not have the Imperial size brakes
(2.5 x 12), Imperial wheels, correct intake manifold, correct carbs, correct
air cleaner, or correct dash one exhaust manifolds.
3. The Golden Lancer was NOT exclusive to the Custom Royal line. It was also
available on the Coronet line. The D500 Hemi engine was an option on the GL,
although a common option on GLs.
4. The upholstery pattern in your car is not unique or custom. It is the
same common pattern and material found in all Custom Royals. The correct GL
cloth is white and gold, in the pattern you have.
5. The gold platted script on the exterior of the car is not correct. The GL
used the same common chrome script as all other 56 Dodges. The restorer just
thought it looked better.
6. The D500 HD chassis included 2 x 12 Chrysler brakes and HD springs. This
was standard on all early D500s and made optional in mid-year. The D500-1
chassis had even bigger brakes and wheels, which your car does not have.
7. Nobody knows the production figures for Golden Lancers, but it was a lot
more than 50, probably several hundred.
8. NOT all GLs were D500s. I have seen several unrestored GLs without the
D500 Hemi engine.
9.  There were no known GLs ever equipped as dash one cars. Yours was never
a dash one. It did not leave the factory that way.
10.  There are no production figures for the D500-1. The only limiting
factor that is known is that only 100 of the correct intake manifolds were
ever made. Your car is equipped with an Offenhauser 2x4 manifold, which
could be had as an option on the 1957 D500, and is still available from Offy
today. Your carbs are the large base 1957 style, instead of the small base
1956 style. Your air cleaners are the 58 oval style, not the large round
single unit that covers both carbs in 1956.
11.  It was not a WELL PRESERVED car. It did come from CA and was rust free,
but it was in very poor weathered condition. The platters did a great job
with the heavily pitted chrome.
12.  If the speedometer is original, it is probably closer to 152,780 miles.
However, I think the speedo was replaced during restoration, because the
restorer asked me if I had a cosmetically good speedo for the restoration,
because the original was weathered badly. Same with the radio.
13. Chrysler Historical did not provide the restorer any documentation, I
did. This is not Lee Petty's car! His was a 2 door sedan Coronet.
14.  Your car is a very nice restoration of a Golden Lancer D500. But it is
not a dash one. It just has a 2x4 intake add-on. There are also many other
errors in the restoration.

Dave Homstad
dhomstad@xxxxxxxxxxx