Re: [FWDLK] WORTH IT?

----- Original Message -----

$6K is a bargain to someone like Bob Mosher, who would clone it into
being a Max-Wedgemobile.

$6K is also a bargain for anyone who wants to get into the old car
hobby, starting with a UNIQUE drivable
car, which has a lot of optional-modification possibilities to it.

An automotive fixer-upper.

Neil Vedder

  I am with Neil.  This is a great car.  What else can you get for 6K ?  Even a cheesy KIA will cost more than that !

  I wish people did not so willingly suck up the notion that age and "blue book" value was IN FACT where real value is determined, ..... because it is not.  This plastic idea of depreciation is such a nonsensical bunch of BS to anyone with a peck of logic, but the fact it still so permeates even the minds of old car enthusiasts like this group just shows how deeply our culture has accepted this marketing tool as some God-given rule of life.

  A car is a car is a car.  It is a combination of machinery and sculpture.  Its value is determined by the desirability and function to the user.  It has nothing to do with age, yet just because this is an old car, it gets kicked around with questions like "Is it worth it ?".  Well, let's see, ....  is it worth some paltry six grand to YOU ?  No one can answer that question but the individual.  What are books and charts and scales but an ambiguous compilation of opinions, generated by detached and uninterested persons to one's own personal needs and tastes ?

  For more than two decades I took nothing but SH*T for my rust bucket heap of ugly-ass car by anyone inclined to waste their breath making comment.  "You paid HOW MUCH for it ???? " was a common response.  Well, a 58 Fireflite convertible was THE car for me.  I didn't care what anyone else thought.  It was the car I wanted and the only thing I found determining "value" was the fact that none were for sale at ANY price in 1980.  So I paid what I was told was "WAY TOO MUCH" for the one I did find and guess what ?  I never regretted it for a moment !  I never missed the money, I was simply thrilled to have finally got the car of my dreams.

  I think this is the question we all have to ask ourselves when buying a car or anything else  ......  how much is this worth to ME ?   Is it the car of your dreams ?  Can you realistically think you'll find something better, or at a better price ?

  Even if it isn't your dream ride, what does $6,000 buy these days but a 2002 Buick Regal with 180,000 on the clock ?

  This car SHOULD book for 20 times what any price guide shows it for.

  B.