[FWDLK] Front seat problem

From: Nichols <nick.barb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: November 29, 2009 11:04:58 AM PST
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Front seat problem

I like the humor!! Anyway, the car is just a driver, nothing that special really.  I'm not persnickety at all about changing things.  The replacement floors were probably done many years and not that great a job which is why they sit wrong.  They are basically just welded over the old floor not level with the old floor and they are not that nice.   I was thinking of hammering down on the floors to create more space.  It is very uncomfortable driving the car as is so I want to resolve it.   The car is 2dr ht Sport Fury which is a great car to have but it is not a cream puff so I don't care about cutting things up or changing things.  I know I don't want to spend a lot of money fixing the problem so the hammering was my first thought or removing cushion material, which may be more difficult.   thanks much, Nick.

  Nick,

  As a "professional problem solver", I like to look at a problem with all options on the table and rule them out according to end results / preferences.

  After giving this some thought, amputation was ruled out.  Although a clear gain of some ten inches could be had with the driver's head removed, the complications with eyesight and awareness of the road were just too great to overcome.  ;-D

  Overstuffing seats was a popular lazy approach to "restoring" seats when these cars were 20 years old.  Too much effort to find thin foam panels when the current trend was thick and heavy and the upholsterer already had a bin of it on hand.  Not sure what you could do without redoing the whole seat.  Sewing does not lend itself to "adjustment" like this very well.

  Being a metal man, I am leaning to figure out why the floors sit higher than original and what could be done about it at this juncture.  Are the floors nice ?  Are they nicely done ?  On all cars but convertibles, the floor pan area where the seats sit is pretty much free floating and could be hammered, heated, or even cut out and new panels put in to lower the seats to a desired height.

  I guess this all hangs on how nice the car is, how persnickety you are about changing things, and how badly you want this fixed.  Oh yeah, and if you have a good surgeon friend !  ;-D

  B.