Re: [FWDLK] Trunk painting question.

Eastern Sierra Adjustment Svc wrote:
I'd like to know how the factory painted the trunk under-and outer panels (and, sometimes in different colors, between the halves) while/after(??) mechanically-crimping them together, with the asphaltic deadener panel(s) lying between them, and, basically, remaining in a NON-painted (masked-off?) condition.

I think that the asphaltic deadener panels might have been 'delivered' with a masking-paper already applied onto them, as you will see some trunks with the trunk's under-paint having left drib/drab markings onto the deadener material, apparently(?) caused when the deadener's still-wet masking paper was forcefully removed from the deadener panel, immediately after the under-side
area was painted.

I've never seen any residual physical evidence OF any masking-paper, still adhering to a trunk underside, however.

Neil Vedder

I once read that the sound deadener used in the trunks ABBYsorbed the paint like a organic sponge. it ate the paint.

--
Paul Holmgren
Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy