Re: [FWDLK] Just How Fast Were The Cars Back Then?

Re: [FWDLK] Just How Fast Were The Cars Back Then?

I know we went through a prolonged discussion a year or two ago about this sort of thing, I'm not trying to restart that. However, based on what I see for the rules of this association, the cars are much like the stock class in NHRA. They are supposed to be original weight, battery location, original carburetor type, etc. If you ever look at the times and speeds the NHRA cars turn, no possible way an as delivered factory stock car could match. I think all these cars, the Mercury as well, are totally blue printed and balanced and have all sorts of little tricks applied to them. It seems to me that everything done to these cars today was available to racers in the 50s and 60s. So with the exception of modern tire compounds, our cars might well have been into the 14s or even 13s when raced in "almost" stock configuration. It is pretty interesting to consider what really went on that was never documented.

A Merry Christmas to all, be safe this holiday.

Bill Huff