  • From: RLS <obiwan10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:20:05 -0800
----- Original Message ----- From: "RLS" <obiwan10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Burton Bouwkamp" <northburt@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Daytona Beach in 1956.

Burton:

Perhaps you could answer other questions that I've had for some time.

I had read or heard somewhere that there were 5 different B's that had exceeded 2 way runs of 135 MPH at this event. One of them driven by a lady. Another had a one way run of 144 MPH. Are my memories correct on this.

Also would you know the rear axle ratios that any these cars were running and were any of them considered the so called 355 HP option? Were they running stock Blue Streak Goodyear's and running thru the stock exhaust systems.

This is all interesting, especially given that these large sedans had basically the aerodynamics of a sail running against the wind. Reminds me of an the old Bob Segar Song.
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bob+seger/against+the+wind_20021964.html

I recently have seen the outcome of its full total frame off restoration of the standard transmission 58 300D that ran at the Daytona Speed Weeks in 1958. Those of you who attended the Club's national event at Lake Tahoe a few years ago will well remember this car. At that time it was basically and old rusty looking body (but fairly solid) with the interior almost completely gone and the factory 3 speed lying in the trunk. The car was for the most part complete but it was one of the sorriest looking things I'd ever seen. For those of you who remember Randy Hastie's 300 F convertible (hauled to a National event for the Western Club with hay bales hanging out it) before its restoration, it was likely a tie to which was more a sorry sight. This 300 D apparently was of very low mileage, claims of 17,000 miles stick in my mind.

The car is now spectacular and likely would win Best of Show at not only 300 meets but many other top pen Concours. It is white with the "PURE OIL" graphics posted on the side just as it was when it ran in 1958. I also saw a wealth of photos and news articles of the car just as it was when it ran. Also photos of the car when it was being delivered in Detroit, basically in a blizzard/snowstorm just before it was driven from Detroit to Daytona. Car was purchased new by a California man who picked it up and Detroit and drove to Daytona. Fascinating historical car.

I've taken photos of it that I will figure how to upload to our website. Timo Tanskanen and another restorer from Danville, Calif. worked together to complete the restoration. There are likely many photos of the car on our website as the car was before it was restored. These would have been taken by many members at the Lake Tahoe Nationals. Even in its miserable appearance then, it was likely the most popular car at that event.

Car is owned my a rice farmer who lives in northern California.

I'm going to forward this missive off to the Forward Look website.

Thank you for sharing your memories with us.

Roger Schaaf
300 B Calyfornua

----- Original Message ----- From: "Burton Bouwkamp" <northburt@xxxxxxxxxxx>