    *From:* Jan & Roger van Hoy <mailto:vanhilla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    *To:* L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    *Sent:* Friday, February 12, 2010 8:40 AM
    *Subject:* Re: [FWDLK] 56 v/8

    Yup, I've got a '56 Plymouth Belvedere with 277.  Don't have a
    tach, but it' not "screaming."  [Sometimes the wife,
    She-From-Whom-The-Receipts-Must-Be-Hidden, old Indian name, does
    scream.]  There are several of us '56 Plym owners here on the list.
The 277/301/318, erroneously called the "wide block," is a very
    good engine.  Last installed in 1966, but you should be able to
    find one.  The newer ones will be set up for aluminum TorqueFlite.
It could be a challenge to set up pushbutton for a TorqueFlite in
    a '56 Plymouth.  IIRC the '62 Chrysler T-F is sought after because
    it has the aluminum casing with tailshaft parking brake and
    pushbuttons.  Finding a pushbutton unit that will fit your dash
    pod will be a challenge.  Some Dodge trucks used a T-F pod that
    will fit exactly in a '56 Dodge, but Plymouth is a different housing.
You didn't mention what transmission you have in the car now. If
    it's a three-speed you might consider adding overdrive.
What you do depends a lot on how stock appearing you want the car
    to be.
--Roger van Hoy