Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:06 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] Filling Sheetmetal Holes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan & Roger van Hoy"

I just picked up a nice rust-free set of fenders for my '58 DeSoto Firedome
in California after a five year search for a good reasonable pair.  Problem
is they're from a '57; same sheet metal but side trim in a different place
and those hellacious double chrome spears on top.

What's the best way to fill in the holes?  I've heard they can be welded a
little at a time from the outside in, and that's preferable to bondo.  Any
other suggestions?

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66
Plymouth, '41 Dodge

  I weld up the holes.  Using .035 wire, I drop the "heat"of my spark a little and work my way around the edge, jumping from hole-to-hole
to not build up too much heat.  Once filled, I grind off the mess on both sides, often finding a little more touch up to be
done.  Repeat process until satisfied.  You can use water in a spray bottle to control heat build up as an option.

  I thought you had a 58 Fireflite 2HT ?  What is this Firedome ?

  B.