[FWDLK] TRANS FRONT SEAL LEAK--MAYBE NOT

[FWDLK] TRANS FRONT SEAL LEAK--MAYBE NOT

Hello Members

I discovered something, just wanted to pass it along.

Has anyone had their torqueflite rebuilt,,,only to find that you have a minor front seal leak????

Well, MAYBE ITS NOT THE FRONT SEAL!

I have a recent rebuild that had an immediate minor 'front seal leak'.
At least that is what I thought.
After a year I decided to bite the bullet and pull the trans and replace the seal.

UREAKA--IT WAS NOT THE SEAL!!
Apparently the re builder lost one of the ALUMINUM flat washers for the front pump housing bolts and saw a steel lock washer on the floor---and decided to use it.
NG!!
The front pump housing bolts are 'WET BOLTS'
i.e.: the entire length of the bolt feels pump pressure.

The only thing preventing a leak to the outside world is a good seal beteween the bolt head and housing.
HENCE Mother Mo par used an ALUMINUM washer under the bolt head.

That was the leak. I would imagine a steel washer may or may not keep the seal and prevent a leak,,,but use aluminum and some silicone .

ED ECKERSON
LI  NY