Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 7 May 2010 to 8 May 2010 (#2010-93)

Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 7 May 2010 to 8 May 2010 (#2010-93)

Hi,

I'm late into a discussion as usual but, as far as painting an exhaust manifold, it's more about how that what.  I'm a typical do-it-yourself person on a budget.  However, I've done a few hi-temp paint jobs over the years with good results.  While I've used whatever I could find, to get the right color, I've been very careful to treat it just like I would any good paint job.  Properly prepare the surface, use the right primer and follow the instructions.  I'm one of those rare old types that reads the instruction manuals!  Paint will fail if it doesn't grip, cover and cure.  The surface must be absolutely clean and dry with capitol C's and D's.  It must be sealed to prevent moisture from beneath and have the right surface to grip properly.   That means the right primer.  A critical step is curing it before you subject it to the elements.  Just like any paint, it has to cure to eliminate the carrier and thinning solvents.  It seems to be even more
 important in hi-temp paints.  I am certainly no expert in this but, I think, if you only do one thing, baking it for the right length of time at the right temperature might be the best thing you can do to get a good result.

Good luck,

Jim