Re: [FWDLK] HELP: Headlight switch clicks every 5 seconds

Re: [FWDLK] HELP: Headlight switch clicks every 5 seconds

Jim,

This certainly sounds like a short in the lighting system that is overloading the circuit breaker. If you have been tinkering with anything electrical recently on the car, than go back to that item, disconnect the power supply and see if your problem is solved. I ran into this in the past when I pulled the pushbutton controls out of the housing than when reinstalling, noticed an exposed wire leading the light bulb was shorting and tripping the breaker. It had to be dark enough to see the spark of the short than I heard the corresponding trip of the breaker.

If you haven't done anything to the car, I would recommend systematically disconnecting various electrical items and to see what is causing the short. As an example, the headlights and turn signals can be disconnected separately at the terminal bar mounted on the radiator support.

Chris

Hi all,

While driving my 1957 Dodge by night, I just noticed something weird, of which I’m sure it didn’t occur before.

When turning the lights on, the switch itself seems to click every 5 seconds. And during that click, for a fraction of a second, the head lights and AMP meter drop.

Does anybody have any clue as to what might cause this? And is it a tell tale for something worse to come?

I am a week from making an almost 1000 mile road trip to the Big Power Meet in Sweden…

Looking forward to your comment/advise/tips…, anything!

Regards, Jim

The Netherlands

1957 Dodge Lancer D550 x2