Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] 58 Plymouth Brake/stop light switch

Whoa, there, before throwing green at it some simple troubleshooting is in order.

First I'd make a short jumper wire , unplug the two brake lite switch wires, jump them together while a helper checks to see if the brake lights come on.  If not, the switch is not the problem.

If it's not the brake light switch it might be the turn signal control.  It disconnects the side that's using the turn signal.  After many years of wear it may not be making contact when the turn signal is cancelled.  You can pull the steering wheel to check it, or, with the FSM color-coding and a test light with a probe you can probe the wires at the bottom of the steering column.

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge