[FWDLK] Engine running fine...dies...won't re-start

[FWDLK] Engine running fine...dies...won't re-start

As the subject said, my car (1957 Dodge Coronet) was running just fine, stuttered a couple of times, and now it won't re-start.

I started it and let it idle a few minutes, drove it a couple of miles and parked it. Then after an hour or so I started it again, it idled for a few minutes while I put air in a tire, drove it to the mailbox where I grabbed the mail, and then the problem occurred. It had no other issues throughout the day. It is a hot and miserable day today and the engine was definitely warm. I have a couple thoughts as to potential issues, but am more interested in what folks here on the list feel the issue might be.

The situation occurred after I was sitting on a somewhat steep hill idling for a minute or two. I put it in gear to proceed, it went a little distance to where it leveled out again, and the engine died. It started a couple more times for a few seconds but wouldn't stay running. At first I thought maybe idling on the hill caused a carb/fuel delivery related issue. I checked the fuel filter and throughout my various starting attempts it would be anywhere from completely full to nearly empty. I loosened the fuel filter nut a couple times and there was apparently some pressure built up somewhere as when I loosened the nut fuel would rush into the filter (so hopefully the pump is ok). I did notice that some of the seals on the carb began to look wet, as if there was a lot of fuel in there, not going anywhere.

The car is sitting out front now. Knowing my luck it will turn right over and start if I go try it later tonight, but in case the problem is something more serious, I'd like to get some ideas right away.

The fuel gauge doesn't work but I put a couple more gallons of gas in the tank anyway. I don't think gas level is the issue, although I am somewhat concerned about the age of the gas in the tank. I last filled the tank a couple years ago, but did put an additive that I believe is supposed to help stabilize the fuel (such as when sitting a while and not doing a lot of moving)...not sure exactly what it was though. That being said, what are the chances the car would start and run fine for a while if the gas was bad?

Any ideas? Any other details I neglected to provide? I didn't really have a chance to look at the ignition side of things. I did see that the carb would still squirt fuel when pumping the throttle, but perhaps the engine was flooded? I've only ever had flooding/vapor lock issues on cold days, so this seems weird to me on a hot, miserable day.

As usual, your help is greatly appreciated.

-Garrett