Re: [FWDLK] Swapping rear end gears

Karl,

In the scenario I described, you are not actually swapping the ring gear, you are swapping the non sure grip cage for the sure grip cage. The ring gear and the pinion gear, which are what must remain matched, stay together in the same unit.

To do this the cage and ring gear are remove.  The ring gear is uninstalled and then reinstalled to the sure grip cage and then that assembly is reinstalled back into the original third member.  All that has been changed is what the ring gear is bolted to.  I only suggested changing the side bearings because it is relatively easy to do while the unit is apart.  The parts that require matching are the hypoid gear surfaces between the pinion gear and the ring gear.  The specialized knowledge and tools are required to set the pinion depth so the gear surfaces slide properly.  If the gears you want to use are working properly, then the pinion doesn't have to be disturbed so no special tools or techniques needed there, only a dial indicator to set backlash.

In all honesty it is not a very difficult job from a technical standpoint, but if you are unsure, it might be more prudent to let your mechanic do it the first time.

Here is a pic of the carrier or cage.

http://ronsmachiningservice.com/store/images/P/auburn%20posi-23.JPG

here is a pic of the ring and pinion.

http://ausmorperformance.com/images/new%20r&p%20(Small).jpg

Here is a pic of the ring gear mounted on the cage (a different brand of differential but the same principal).

http://media.photobucket.com/image/8.75%20differential/bobc0/webpageimages/Diff5.jpg

Finally here is almost exactly what your 741 looks like inside.  The backlash is set using the slotted adjusting nuts on each side to slide the ring gear left or right before the nuts are locked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1946-1-Ton-Eaton-Chevy-Truck-Differential-third-member-/330369599727

Good Luck,

Bill Huff