Re: [FWDLK] Re. Car Kulture

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eastern Sierra Adjustment Svc" <esierraadj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 11:10:42 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Re. Car Kulture

The trade publications typically referred to 2-and-4 door hardtop models
as being "hardtop
convertibles", in the 50's.

It's just neat actually to HEAR a person, back then, use that language.

Of course, the (non-advertising) bank employee had no clue that the
suspects' car
was a brand-new Chrysler New Yorker, but by golly, she saw that it
was a "hardtop convertible", all right!

Neil Vedder

  This little euphemism or twist of terminology proved somewhat irritating 30 years
ago when it was more commonly heard.  We would get a lead on a car, being told
it was a "convertible", only to arrive and find a hardtop and a seller who could not
understand why we were a bit miffed at being misled.

  We quickly figured it out that this was a common term from the days when hardtops
were something new and still a novelty.  But we made a habit of asking specific
questions about this "convertible" business before getting off the phone after a few
disappointing long trips.

  B.