Re: [FWDLK] "DESIGN A PAINT"

Hello Dolores,
Not sure if this is helpful, but there has been such a system for the past
decade or so....
http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinish/en/colortools/tools/Pages/default.aspx

This system uses an optical reader to 'read' the color of the sample you
bring to them, and then it custom mixes the paint to match the read.

My local paint supplier has this system.  I generally take him something
like the fuel door.  The inside paint hasn't been exposed to sunlight as
much, so it hasn't faded.
Also, the paint on  the inside of the trunk lid, or some of the brackets
that support the fenders are commonly over sprayed with paint, and can be
used.
Not to mention some of the under hood items that were over sprayed that can
be used.  Generally, they need a sample area about the size of a nickel.

Some restoration shops used these systems.  Most commonly, when they pull up
the carpet the sheet metal underneath is the best place.  This has not seen
the light of day since the car was built, so therefore, the most correct
color for the whole car.

Lonnnnggggg story short:
You are creating a 'custom' color because it is the color your one
particular car was painted, by the factory.  And don't get me started on
factory color variation.  It sounds like you already have run into it....all
those different shades of Buckskin Beige.

Hope this helps,
Charles.