Re: [FWDLK] OK, WTF is this?

To amplify upon what Ron said, Carl Kiekaeffer was able to get a D501 race
car built, in a Coronet hardtop body, on top of a convertible frame, on the
regular production line.

He liked competitive edges, and all he had to do, to get that car built, was
to ask.... (the right people) for it.

Neil Vedder

Ron Swartley wrote:
*Roger, Roger, Roger,*
** * You could not be more wrong then saying _ANYTHING CAN'T HAPPEN ON THE CHRYSLER ASSEMBLY LINE._ I am an extremist that started collection Chrysler Corporation cars in 1956. It was a different time back then things move much much slower. The assembly line supervisor could program anything into the assembly line that he could access from Chrysler Corperation. _Now I am not saying this was common, practice offered to the public ,_ but if an high ranking executive want a (---example----) a 1956 Dodge HARDTOP with the D-500-1 engine in it and _Dodge did not offer that engine in a Hardtop_, and he wanted it** right off the assembly line......well..... he just had the super visor of the assembly line program that optional D-500-1 race engine into a black HARDTOP even though it was not available in a hardtop but only in a 2 Dr Sedan or convertible. The executives could get most any combination they wanted if they had a high position in the company. The whole world has corruption and change for the better and the worse mixed in almost everything that has ever been done by man. Please do not believe that the Chrysler Assembly Line was the only thing that ran perfectly and had no exceptions to the standard rules of assembly. A close friend of mine ordered a 59 Plymouth and said he would like to have the blue design Dodge seats in it. The Plymouth dealer had a very big dealership and had a lot of pull with the company. He got exactly what my friend wanted and charged him $31 dollar more. The Chrysler 300 F was advertised with a 4 speed french gearbox. However you could not order one unless you were a full time racer, ( like Norm Thatcher, Andy Grantelli, etc) They only made approximately 15 of them. A lot of the experimental cars were started because of upper management ideas of what would really appeal to the times that they were produced in. Ramchargers built some wild stuff in very limited production. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.* *After more then 54 years of buying, selling and racing Mopar's, I get a great laugh when someone says "Chrysler would never do that". LOL* ** *Ron Allyn Swartley* ** *PS. When I mention PROGRAM. I use that world for lack of a better word such as planned or scheduled--computer were not common back then.* ** In a message dated 11/8/2010 1:10:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, vanhilla@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

NO! Anything was NOT possible on the Chrysler assembly line !!! They were in the business of making cars to sell, and the line was
    to keep going except for emergencies.  Cars with minor defects
    were corrected off the end of the line.  So does anyone really
    think that the assembly guys ran over to the Dodge plant, got a
    front clip and all the trimmings, carried it back to the Plymouth
    plant or Chrysler plant, got it in sequence and put it on a
    production car?  Just to make a one-off?
Canadian cars, such as Dodge Kingsways, are a different matter, as
    they were assembled in Canada.  Export models such as DeSoto
    Diplomat were sequenced for their peculiar mix of parts.
Do you know how few bolts hold on the front clip on these cars? It's a pretty simple matter for a hobbyist to change clips and
    have a one-of-none car.
Why put a '59 Dodge clip on a 300D? Dunno. It's buttugly. But
    it's may be do-able, and the front medallion could be crafted by
    anyone.  There's still the wheelbase issue, unless maybe the body
and frame started life as a '58 Windsor with 122" wheelbase. Working the other way, let's suppose some guy started with a '58
    Windsor and wanted to clone a 300.  He couldn't use a 300C-D-E
    front clip, so he'd have to find something else that would fit a
    122" wheelbase, like a '59 Dodge.  Makes as much or more sense
    than somebody cobbling up a real 300.
Perhaps there were some products like this out of the special or
    experimental shops at Chrysler, we may still have some list
    members who worked there then, BUT I'd discourage this line of
    thinking in favor of the considerable likelihood that some
    restorer did this in his backyard.  The reason I say this is that
    it denegrates Chrysler Corp. to make it sound like they just threw
    stuff together.  They weren't anal-retentive about documenting
    things like some car makers, but that was probably because their
    main interest was getting them out the door and on their way to
    dealers.
--Roger van Hoy