Re: [FWDLK] Fuel Pump...

Hi Garrett,

I had the exact same issue with the pump on my '57 300C.  It was also a Carter pump, but the part # escapes me at the moment.

My pump was designed to be serviced as it had Philips head machine screws around the entire circumference of the pump that allow you to disassemble & service.

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A REMAN PUMP AND USE YOURS FOR A CORE.  When I dug into this, I found that many of the older Carter pumps were sort of lumped together into a generic group and sold as universal fit for many applications.  The fact of the matter is that there are subtle differences between the many different models of Carter fuel pumps from the '50s & '60s and that ir DOES make a difference.

The Antique Auto Parts Cellar manufactures fresh rebuild kits for these pumps http://maritimedragracing.com/antique_auto_parts_cellar.htm .  The kits are well documented and the folks there were VERY helpful on the phone.

Go ahead, give it a stab.  I'm into the aquarium thing too and found that these fuel pumps operate under the same principles as diaphragm type air pumps do.  There's a moving diaphragm and some flapping type check valves in it.

Best Regards,

TFM

'57 300C, '57 New Yorker T&C, '70 'Cuda 440+6

>>> Garrett <TheBulkster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 12/2/2010 10:55 PM >>>
Hey all,

A while back I mentioned I was pretty sure my fuel pump was leaking (57 Dodge Coronet).

I was able to determine that fuel is actually spraying out the top of the pump.  From the service manual it appears to be Fuel Pump model M2502S.  The fuel appears to be escaping from the oval opening in the rocker arm housing (at the top, furthest from where it connects to the car).  Looking at the exploded view of the pump, my first inclination is to say the diaphragm is bad (or headed that way).  It does still pump gas (seems like a pretty good flow too), but clearly there shouldn't be fuel coming out of the top of it.  I suppose other possibilities could include some of the internal pieces are going bad, but in my experience with aquarium air pumps, the diaphragm is always the first (and usually only) thing that goes bad.

I guess I'm just looking to confirm my suspicions (or the exact issue), and then figure out the next step.  A rebuild seems pretty simple...this from a guy who is only looking at a schematic and has never attempted one.  If anyone has a used or rebuilt pump available, throw me a price.

Ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

-Garrett

PS- Anyone in Central Ohio want to buy a 90-gallon aquarium or two?  They are preventing my Dodge from being housed in my garage.